Diversity Works Challenge
Special Broadcasting Service Corporation (ABN 91 314 398 574) (SBS) of 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064. Phone: 1800 500 727.
Only entrants (individuals or groups) who are in employment in the following categories may enter:
- Media, advertising, PR and creative agencies, entering with the explicit backing and approval of their client. OR
- Brand marketing teams can enter directly.
Any entry that is submitted without the proper authorisation or consent of a client (and where applicable, the agency at which the entrants work) will be ineligible to enter.
Other media organisations and publishers are not permitted to enter.
At entry you must provide your work details including email address in order for us to verify that you are employed by a company that is eligible to enter. Failure to do so may result in your entry being disqualified.
Commences: 00:30 AEST on Thursday, 26th January 2017
Closes: 17:00 AEST on Friday, 31st March 2017
Maximum Number of Entries
Entrants may submit as many entries as they wish however each entry must be unique and submitted via a separate online entry form and must independently comply with these Terms of Entry.
How to enter
- During the Competition Period, entrants must go to www.sbsmedia.com.au and follow the directions to complete the online entry form. Only online entries will be accepted.
- Valid entries must include:
- Online entry form completed including (but not limited to) name, work email address and phone number
- Upload of a 30 sec TVC script
- Max. 500 word rationale addressing the judging criteria
- Entries that exceed the 500 word limit may be disqualified at SBS’s discretion.
- You will only be judged on the script and rationale, any additional material provided (eg, storyboards) will not factor into the judge’s decision. During the pitch stage, you are able to bring additional material to support your entry.
- By entering the competition, you accept that should you win you will be committed to produce an advertisement that reflects the winning pitch and production costs associated with the development, creation and production of the TVC are at the entrant’s expense. SBS Media will require regular contact and review sessions to ensure the creative concept being produced is true to the winning pitch.
- The winning entrant will also be responsible for costs associated with obtaining CAD approval and delivery of the creative to SBS.
One Major Prize winner will receive $1,000,000 AUD (excluding GST) of combined Airtime and Digital value, redeemable across all SBS channel networks (SBS, SBS VICELAND, Food Network, NITV) and video pre rolls on SBS On Demand. World Movies is excluded. The airtime would run nationally across regional & metro, peak and off-peak time zones and valued at SBS base rate card.
- The prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- The prize cannot be used for make goods.
- The prize does not count towards a client’s existing financial commitment to SBS.
- Agency commission will not be payable on the airtime value.
- The winning advert will premiere on SBS during prime time in the second half of 2017 and will subsequently feature across SBS programming including but not limited to News and Current Affairs, Movies, Sport, Documentaries, Food and Drama.
- The airtime value will be planned at the absolute discretion of SBS Media; however we will use best endeavours to plan efficiently for the winning brand's target audience.
- SBS reserves the right to not run the winning TVC in any program sponsored by a competitive brand.
- All campaign entries should be based on a 30 sec script however the winning campaign can include 15 sec, 45 sec and 60 sec executions that would be scheduled at SBS Media’s discretion.
- The winning campaign can be a series of advertisements based on the winning script concept, subject to SBS Media’s approval.
- The winning entry should be able to run in all dayparts and no guaranteed position in break will be offered.
- The winning entrant agrees that the winning TVC will not appear on any media or published in any form prior to its launch on SBS.
- Should the client wish, the script can be used to produce a radio advertisement however production costs are at the entrant’s expense.
- The entrant is required to comply with all relevant SBS Codes and Guidelines.
The Major Prize is valued up to $1,000,000 AUD exclusive of GST.
After the closing date, the eligible entries will be shortlisted to no more than eight finalists by a panel of judges.
The shortlisted entrants will be contacted by email on 7th April 2017 and invited to pitch their idea to the main judging panel on the 4th May 2017.
A representative (client and/or agency) of the shortlisted entrants will be required to pitch in person at SBS head office (14 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064), otherwise via video conference.
At the judging session, a panel of SBS and external judges will hear pitches from all shortlisted entrants and will then choose a single winner based on judging criteria.
Inability to attend the judging session may result in disqualification of the entry.
The judge’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Judging of the Entries will be based on the below criteria and weighting:
- Diversity of Australia is accurately reflected and integrated into the fabric of the campaign - 50%
- The creative strategy is clearly defined and meets the overarching client’s objectives – 30%
- The creative approach is coherent, consistent and cuts through – 20%
Prize Winner Notification:
The winner will be notified by email and phone on the 5th May 2017 and will have until the 11th May to confirm they are willing and able to fulfil their commitment.
The winner must accept their prize by Thursday, 11th May 2017.
If the selected winner fails to redeem their prize by the above date, SBS has the right to allocate the prize to the runner up submission.
The winner will be publicly announced via the campaign website on 12th May 2017.
The winner is required to deliver the completed advertisement by 2nd August 2017.
The airtime value must be fully redeemed by the end of 31st January 2018. Any remaining value left after this date will be lost.
Second Chance Draw and notification:
In the unlikely event that SBS Media believe the advertisement produced does not match the intention of the original winning pitch; SBS Media reserve the right to withdraw the prize.
If the winning entry is unable to deliver the advertisement, the judges have the ability to choose a new winner.
The winner will be notified by email and phone and publicly announced via the campaign website.
General Terms and Conditions
- Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Information relating to the Competition and the above Schedule form part of the terms and conditions for the Competition. The Promoter may vary these terms and conditions from time to time at its sole discretion, subject to approval of the relevant state authorities.
- By entering into this competition, entrants accept the standard airtime advertising Terms and Conditions, and must be accompanied by a CAD approval number. The CAD approval number is an 8 digit code given by FreeTV Australia.
- Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions above.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must complete the process outlined in the Entry Details during the Competition Period. Any entry received outside of the Competition Period will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants may enter the Competition up to the Maximum Number of Entries. Each entry must be submitted separately and meet the eligibility requirements.
- Incomprehensible and incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of identity, proof of Australian residency status at the nominated Prize delivery address and proof of entry validity, in order to claim a Prize. Acceptance of proof of eligibility is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that an entrant cannot provide proof, their entry will be deemed invalid.
- All valid entries are automatically entered into the Winner Selection process, which will take place at the times and dates set out in the Schedule, including any specified Second Chance Draw.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be notified in accordance with the Winner Notification details in the Schedule.
- All Prizes are as depicted or described in the Schedule and, unless otherwise specified, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash. The Promoter is not responsible for any additional costs associated with use of the Prize.
- If a Prize is date specific, the Winner must be available to redeem the Prize on the date/s specified in the Schedule. If the Winner is not able to redeem the Prize on the specified date/s, the Promoter may determine another Winner in its absolute discretion.
- Prize values are based upon the rate card value at the time of printing
- All Prizes are subject to availability. In the event that any of the Prizes or part of a Prize becomes unavailable due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control, the Promoter reserves the right to provide a similar prize to the same or greater value as the original prize, subject to state regulations.
- The winner of this promotion and its nominated client are not permitted to cancel or postpone any paid advertising schedule booked with SBS Media following their announcement as the winner of this competition in lieu of replacing with the advertising value of this prize.
- The prize is awarded to the winning idea and brand. The prize cannot be transferred to a different campaign concept, or to a different brand.
- Subject to the judge’s approval, the winning concept can be produced into a series of advertisements to form part of a larger campaign.
- Neither the Promoter nor the Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injury that results directly or indirectly from the Winner taking part in any aspect of the Prize. Where relevant, the Winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the Prize package and will take out appropriate travel insurance.
- Rights to produce the campaign ideas entered will remain with the entering company.
- The winner and shortlisted entrants must be available and agree to partake in publicity and promotion for the campaign.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any loss, damages, or injury incurred to enter the Competition or in connection with taking up the Prizes.
- It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the Prize and the Prize supplier’s requirements.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant submitting an entry which, in the Promoter’s opinion, includes objectionable content.
- This Competition is a game of skill and chance will play no part in determining the Winner. Each entry will be individually judged, based upon literary and creative merit.
- All entries must be the original independent creation of the entrant and free of any claims that they infringe any third party rights. Entries must not have been published previously and/or have been used to win prizes in any other competitions.
- Subject to clause 19, all entries become and remain the physical property of the Promoter.
- Unless marked as confidential, entrants consent to their full names and/or their entries being used in all media by the Promoter. Entrants acknowledge and agree they may be required to participate in promotional activities while taking up the Prize.
- Unless marked as confidential, the Promoter may use entrants' names and details for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes. The Promoter may also be required to disclose your personal information to its contractors, agents, co-promoter and to state and territory gaming departments to assist in conducting the Competition.
- The Promoter takes no liability for any tax issues which may arise from accepting a Prize in this Competition. Consult an independent tax adviser if this is a concern.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal or permanent injury or loss of life; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- The Promoter and the Prize Supplier/s assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorised access to, or alterations of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available. If for any reason this Competition is not capable of running as planned, due to causes including, but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administrative security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion, to take any action that may be available to the fullest extent permitted by law, including to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. Subject to state regulations.
- Neither the Promoter nor the Prize supplier or their associated companies is responsible, to the extent permitted by law, for acts of god, acts of terrorism or war (declared or undeclared) or other events beyond the Promoter and the Prize supplier's control which prevent awarding or acceptance of the Prize in accordance with the Prize description.